Down to Oban to get the ferry to Barra today to join up with the others for the Rucksack Club’s President’s Meet.
The much photographed Stalker’s Castle set on a tidal islet on Loch Laich, an inlet off Loch Linnhe midway between Glen Coe and Oban and about 1.5 miles north-east of Port Appin. You might remember it from the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Below the lighthouse just beyond.
A few shots around Oban before boarding the ferry as foot passengers with our bikes
McCaig's Tower erected between 1897 and 1902 commissioned at a cost of £5,000 sterling (£500,000 at 2006 prices using GDP deflator), by the wealthy, philanthropic banker (North of Scotland Bank), John Stuart McCaig.
McCaig's intention was to provide a lasting monument to his family, and provide work for the local stonemasons during the winter months. McCaig was an admirer of Roman and Greek architecture, and had planned for an elaborate structure, based on the Colosseum in Rome. His plans allowed for a museum and art gallery with a central tower to be incorporated. Inside the central tower he planned to commission statues of himself, his siblings and their parents. His death brought an end to construction with only the outer walls completed. The empty shell of the tower dominates the Oban skyline, and is now a public garden with magnificent views to the islands of Kerrera, Lismore and Mull.
Here she comes
Storms catching us up on the way to the Outer Hebrides
Sunshine on our arrival in Castle Bay, Barra
The view from our digs
and later that evening